What is CrossFit?
CrossFit started being trendy when it was founded in the US state of California in 2000 (SCMP, 2020) and has rapidly grown in popularity in recent years all over the world as people start concerning the importance of health and start to develop their own healthy lifestyle through different ways. Eating habits and exercises are the two main ways that people usually focus on, and CrossFit popped up in the wake of the ‘exercises’ way.
Basic knowledge of CrossFit
CrossFit is a kind of high-intensity interval training workout, it involves a strength and conditioning workout that is made up of different functional movements that is suitable for people at any age and level of fitness. It encompasses the 10 recognized general physical skills, which include
1) Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement
2) Endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen
3) Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy
4) Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force
5) Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time
6) Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint
7) Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity
8) Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement
9) Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another
10) Balance – The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base
We could generally divide it into three parts: Weightlifting, gymnastics, and Cardio fitness. With weightlifting, people do power cleans, snatching, and overhead squats, things that would generally be seen in the Olympics. Apart from it, CrossFit has a gymnastic side too, people would conduct jumping, burpees, pull-ups, movement of the body during CrossFit training. In terms of cardio fitness, people would do cycling, running, swimming, rowing, and skipping. Anything that you can think of can be added in if it can enhance these three types of fitness, CrossFit should be adjusted according to the condition of each person. Therefore, you could essentially make any type, length, the intensity of the workout while trying to design your personal CrossFit training program, there are infinite possibilities in CrossFit. Last but not least, nutrition is very important and always appears together with CrossFit, as nutrition can bring a serious impact on the effectiveness of your training efforts.
Benefit of CrossFit
Undoubtedly, CrossFit training could help us keep fit and maintain a healthy body effectively. It could also help us develop an exercise habit to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Apart from the physical benefit, we could make new friends through CrossFit training too. The unique side of CrossFit is the community of it, everyone there will support and encourage each other during the training, they push each other to reach a higher limit all the time as they work toward their goals. Besides, CrossFit provides constant challenges as new exercise movements are always being involved in it. All those movements could be crazier and bigger, and more outlandish things will be coming up from different people. As I mentioned above, CrossFit training can enhance the 10 recognized general physical skills, so there are various types of training that can be used in CrossFit for these 10 general physical skills. Moreover, CrossFit is very free. As a result, you will never feel bored during the training and even be addicted to it too.
Tips for beginners
For the one who is now struggling should start your CrossFit journey or not, we now strongly encourage you to go get started and you will discover the fun in it! Somebody may ask ‘Can a beginner do CrossFit?’, the answer of course is YES! Coaches will arrange a tailor made program for each crossfitter according to their own body condition and fitness level by adjusting the time and intensity of the workout.
To the one who has just started your CrossFit journey. Congrats! You have made your first step to improved health and fitness! We would recommend you conduct the training step by step, never force yourself to do some dangerous action especially in weight training. You should do CrossFit in a safe way., so that you can gain your biggest improvement for your health and fitness!